Monday 4 July 2011

'Untitled' the film


'I am a kino-eye. I am a builder. I have placed you, whom I have created today, in an extraordinary room which did not exist until now when I also created it.'(Dziga Vertov)

Many designers and architects nowadays mainly design for the pleasure of the eye, making buildings that have turned into image products detached from existential depth and sincerity. But to understand, to situate ourselves into the space, we need to feel it, to feel its atmosphere and have our emotions echoed back to us. But, ofcourse, every person feels himself differently in the same space.

In my project ‘Untitled’ I am bringing you to the exploration of the site (Canterbury West station) from the way I saw it. This film has its own atmosphere, very different from what the station is like. I am exploring the site as a space of compression, speed, loud noises and crowd that I had to face. I am looking at three phobias: xenophobia, claustrophobia and phonophobia. And now my site is my film. 

This film creates the fusion of space and time, where architecture participates in the very emotion of the film, and as Anthony Vidler said, it does not surround anymore, but enters the experience as present. The audience can only experience it when I decide so, as I am the creator of this site. It became a spatial proposal when I have started to draw into the video with my diagrams, that show the spatial tension of phobias between the site, its inhabitants and the operator. The two-dimensionality of the picture is being extended in depth by the fourth dimension-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment