Tuesday 8 November 2011

Spaces with Artificial Memory

This is the screenshot from Gaspar Noe's 'Irreversible' film. I have suddenly remembered about this film when started to look at the tunnels, and wondering why is it that they give me such a strong feeling. And then I realised.
I've seen this film about three or four years ago and still it is the only movie, that i can recall from the depth of my memory, and remember every second of it. It certainly gave me one of the strongest impressions i have ever had after watching a film. It also is to do with the story being so real, it could have happen to anyone. And there we are, it is since then, that i have my almost superstitious fear of the tunnels.
And that is exactly why i am unconsciously drawn to them (it seems this way anyway), as you have to face your fear in order to get read of it.

taken from here: http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/?q=node/783

The location of the tunnel, according to the internet source is in Paris: Buttes Chaumont, Paris 19, Paris, France (the subway station). 

2 comments:

  1. This shot reminds me of a film I saw by Janet Cardiff - there is a still of it here on the website but I cant find the film anywhere. http://www.cardiffmiller.com/artworks/inst/berlinfiles.html
    In the film we see a tunnel and hear footsteps approaching, but when the woman walks around the corner she is walking on the ceiling, its done by simply turning the film upside down I think - certainly uncanny as a cinematic and spatial experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be worth (re)reading the uncanny by Freud which opens up all kinds of possibilities for designing dreamlike spaces/experiences

    ReplyDelete